Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Member Spotlight: Diane Shelton

Diane Shelton
DPR Construction

What was your first job?
My first job was at Miller’s Outpost at the El Cerrito Plaza when I was 16. I told everyone they looked great in jeans and they believed me. The interview process included a lie detector test where we were hooked up to machines that measured our heart rate and pulse. It showed I lied about my name but told the truth for all other questions. A career in marketing was born!

You’re currently a marketing manager for DPR Construction. What in your professional background prepared you for this lofty position in the AEC industry?
Pretty much everything I’ve done since the Miller’s Outpost sales gig. ‘Marketing’ encompasses so many skill sets I’ve found that nothing I’ve taken the time to learn has gone to waste, and there’s still so much out there to learn. I worked in radio for many years and those skills have come in handy with video work DPR has done, and now with podcasts. Old-school news writing and editing skills learned in school, I use these every day. I’ve done tech writing for power grid management software, public information for schools, general PR, news…these jobs all prepared me in one way or another.

How has the industry (marketing) changed since the start of your career?
Personal computers were invented, as were the World Wide Web, cell phones, laser printers, graphic design software, Word, Excel….most of the tools we use on a daily basis. How has it NOT changed? Personal relationships are still the most important marketing tool in the shed, and I don’t think that will ever change.

Any words of wisdom for the youngsters?
Take time to master the basics of the art of marketing – relationships, business strategy, persuasive writing, design consistency – and you’ll be set (or so I hear). The medium will continue to change throughout your career. Today it’s printed proposals, tomorrow it may laser beams. Lunch with your SMPS pals is not goofing off, it’s professional development. Trust me.

It’s a nice spring day in Austin. What would you rather be doing right now?
Riding my bike.

What book is on your nightstand?
All The King’s Men, last week’s New York Times Magazine (re-designed! I’m freaking out!), Mary Karr’s newest book, and (no kidding) The Idiot’s Guide to Great Abs, which I use as a coaster for my coffee cup.

What did you listen to on the radio on your way in to work today?
I listened to a This American Life podcast on the secret recipe for Coca-Cola. Usually it’s all NPR, all the time.

If you could have dinner with anyone – history to current – who would you choose?
Susan B. Anthony and Carrie Brownstein. The conversation would be awesome.

What’s your favorite Austin activity?
Breakfast tacos.

What has been your most interesting vacation?
The past 11 years I’ve spent in Texas.

1 comment:

  1. My first job was at Miller's Outpost too! :)

    ReplyDelete