Friday, February 25, 2011

SMPS Southern Regional Conference Recap by Megan Felker, CPSM

Despite the freezing weather and delayed travel arrangements, the 2011 Southern Regional Conference in Houston was well attended. The sessions were organized into three separate tracks – COMMUNICATE (Marketing Coordinator), CREATE (Business Development) and CONNECT (Leadership) – which I found beneficial. For the most part, I followed the BD track, but there were multiple sessions in other tracks that interested me. One session that impressed me was “Intellectual Property Do’s and Don’ts for Marketing Professionals” by Jenna Rader Perry. Intellectual Property does not sound like the most stimulating topic, but the speaker provided tons of relevant information about copyrights, trademarks, etc. that many marketing/BD folks had not heard. Although her presentation was punctuated with legal jargon, she was able to explain the jargon in “plain speak” and relate it to our industry. I think everyone went back to their office and pulled “unlawful” images out of their presentations or marketing materials!

One of the main reasons I attend these regional conferences is to leave feeling refreshed, inspired, and ready to return to work with new knowledge and enthusiasm. This year was no different. I think many marketers in our industry have been down about the current economy and the state of our firm’s success over the past several years. By talking with my fellow marketers at the SMPS Regional Conference, it gave me hope that this year we will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Megan Felker, CPSM
JQ

No comments:

Post a Comment